LYSOLAC®: trusted to naturally protect cheese for 30 years
Cheese is susceptible to spoilage by micro-organisms, which can cause defects that dramatically reduce its quality, imparting negative odours and taste defects. LYSOLAC® has been trusted by cheesemakers for over 30 years to naturally protect the quality of cheese, maintaining its flavour and texture whilst increasing shelf-life.
LYSOLAC® is safe, easy-to-use, and cost-effective, taking full advantage of the natural antimicrobial properties of lysozyme. This protective enzyme is found in mothers’ milk, tears, and in hens’ eggs, where it powerfully disrupts the membrane of gram-positive bacteria, killing them.
When added directly to the milk, LYSOLAC® protects the cheese throughout the entire process. Its positive charge binds it to the negatively charged casein in milk, keeping LYSOLAC® active in the curd, and beyond into the ripening stages. This is critical for preventing late-blowing, cracking, and splitting defects, which are caused by the spores of Clostridium tyrobutyricum. These spores are notoriously resistant to pasteurisation, bactofugation, and micro-filtration approaches. They endure these unharmed, poised to begin growing weeks later during ripening when conditions are favourable. Cheese protected with LYSOLAC® rapidly destroys Clostridium tyrobutyricum spores that begin to grow during ripening, entirely preventing late-blowing spoilage of cheese.
LYSOLAC® Inhibits growth of Clostridium tyrobutyricum
Interaction between LYSOLAC® added and the casein in the milk
LYSOLAC® successful track record of over 30 years
LYSOLAC® is invaluable insurance for cheesemakers, costing only 0.04€ per kilo of the finished cheese. 500 g of LYSOLAC® is enough to treat 1.65 Kilolitres of milk, providing cheesemakers with real tangible value. Available in either granulated or liquid forms, LYSOLAC® is stable for up to 3 years when kept dry at ambient temperatures.
Protect your precious cheese naturally with LYSOLAC®:
- Cost-effective insurance against late blowing defects
- Easy to implement, requiring no specialist equipment
- Doesn’t affect starter cultures
- No impact upon the flavour, texture, or aroma of the finished cheese
- Improvement of yield in cheese production
- Prevention of late-blowing, cracking and slit formation
- Enhancement of cheese safety, and consistency of quality
LYSOLAC® is available as a granular or pre-mixed solution, in a variety of quantities. 50 g is enough to treat 4000 lbs of milk (equal to 450 gallons or 1700 litres). Use the calculator to the right or download a dosage chart. LYSOLAC® Granular is available online in 50 g and 100 g re-sealable pouches and in 500 g screw-top canisters. LYSOLAC® is available in special orders containers of 10 kg, 20 kg and on up; it has a shelf life of 2 years when kept free from sunlight and heat. LYSOLAC® can be also ordered as a solution in containers of 20 L and on up to 1000 L, with a shelf life of 9 months when kept free from humidity and heat. LYSOLAC® is stable and safe: Granular remains stable when maintained free from humidity at ambient temperature (15-25°C) with a shelf life of 3 years: premixed solution remains stable with a shelf life of 1 year.
A dosage of 25-35 mg of LYSOLAC® per litre of milk is generally sufficient to avoid late-blowing. 500g of LYSOLAC® can treat 16.500 litres of milk (88.000 lbs).
- JECFA classification as food
- GRAS certified in 1998: US FDA
- Approved in Canada in 2000: Food and Drugs Act (1122)
- EU registered food ingredient: E1105, 1129/2011
- FSSC 22000 Food Safety Systems Certification
- USDA approved for use in organic cheese
- Available certified-Halal, Kosher, or organic upon request
- Khorshidian N.,Khanniri E., Koushki M.R.,Sohrabvandi S., Yousefi M. An Overview of Antimicrobial Activity of Lysozyme and Its Functionality in Cheese | Publisher Site